For 2018 BMW have unveiled four models at EICMA, with the F 750 GS and F 850 GS offering what BMW describe as, ‘premium middle-class travel enduros with strong characters,’ while the touring line gets the addition of a luxurious K 1600 Grand America (which is head-scratchingly speed limited to 162km/h).
Finishing off the line up is the C 400 X, which offers a smaller capacity version of the C 650 models in the form of a 400cc premium maxi-scooter themed option.
Here’s a quick run down on each of the new models. We’ll run a full feature on each in the near future, so stay tuned.
2018 F 750 GS & F 850 GS
Ever since their debut in 2007, the GS models of the F series have stood for premium riding enjoyment with typical ‘Made by BMW Motorrad’ features, representing the middle-class Adventure segment.
After around ten years of consistent model development, BMW Motorrad has now fully redesigned and reengineered these models in line with its objective of creating an ultimate riding machine for road riding, on tour, or on an adventure trip into offroad terrain.
Even more so than their predecessor models, the new F 750 GS and F 850 GS are targeted squarely at their respective clientele. The F 750 GS is designed for all riders who prefer the sensation and conceptual design of a travel enduro in combination with a low seat height, copious power availability, high cost-effectiveness, and powerful all-round qualities. Opposite this is the new F 850 GS, which besides offering more power and torque, features even more distinctive touring characteristics coupled with supreme offroad ability.
Powerful, new 2-cylinder in-line engine with two counterbalance shafts and a firing interval of 270/450 degrees for optimised smoothness and emotional sound.
The main development focus was to create an increase in both power and torque. In addition, special attention was given to reducing fuel consumption levels. Displacement is 853 cc and the power output of 57 kW (77 hp) at 7500 rpm generated by the F 750 GS is more than sufficient. The new F 850 GS generates 70 kW (95 hp) at 8250 rpm which translates to a supreme level of engine power.
The developers achieved a powerful sound by employing a crankshaft with a 90 degree journal offset and a 270/450 degree firing interval. Unwanted vibrations are absorbed by the new engine’s two counterbalance shafts. A self-amplifying, anti-hopping clutch provides a discernible reduction in the hand clutch operating force while the drop in engine drag torque also enhances safety on the road. Power transmission to the rear wheel comes from the 6-speed gearbox with secondary drive that is now positioned on the left-hand side.
The riding modes ‘Road’ and ‘Rain’ plus ABS and ASC ensure plenty of riding enjoyment and enhanced safety as standard. Pro riding modes are available as optional equipment.
The new GS models address individual rider requirements by offering ‘Rain’ and ‘Road’ riding modes, while the combination of BMW Motorrad ABS and the ASC automatic stability control ensures a high level of safety.
The F 750 GS and F 850 GS can be fitted ex works with optional equipment, such as Pro riding modes and in turn the additional ‘Dynamic’, ‘Enduro’ and ‘Enduro Pro’ riding modes (the latter only available in the F 850 GS) as well as the DTC dynamic traction control and banking capable ABS Pro.
The bridge frame of the new GS models in the F series is made of deep-drawn, welded components. It integrates the 2-cylinder in-line engine as a co-supporting element and offers benefits in terms of torsional rigidity and robustness. The fuel tank has been placed in the classic position between the seat bench and the steering head, for optimised packaging and an improved centre of gravity.
The F 750 GS and F 850 GS also feature a completely new look, which benefits from a more dynamic and masculine design. In addition to the basic version, the new F models are also available in Exclusive style variations. The Rallye style variant is exclusive to the new F 850 GS and places particular emphasis on its offroad capabilities.
The new GS models of the F series are being launched with a range of equipment options that is unique for the middle class. Be it the different seat heights and windshields, the new full LED headlight, the optional Connectivity equipment with TFT display or eCall, the list of fascinating features with which owners can maximise their riding enjoyment and safety as well as experience the thrill of the road is now virtually inexhaustible for middle class travel enduro motorcycles.
Highlights of the 2018 BMW F 750 GS & F 850 GS
- Powerful 2-cylinder in-line engine with a displacement of 853cc F 750 GS – 57kW (77hp) at 7500rpm and 83Nm at 6000rpm. F 850 GS 70 kW(95hp) at 8250rpm and 92Nm at 6250rpm.
- Extremely powerful and emotional sound, produced by a crankshaft journal offset of 90 degrees and firing interval of 270/450 degrees.
- New, robust steel bridge frame in monocoque construction for increased riding precision.
- New telescopic fork/upside-down telescopic fork plus double-sided aluminium swinging arm with central spring strut for more sensitive response characteristics.
- ABS, ASC plus ‘Rain’ and ‘Road’ riding modes included as standard.
- Pro riding modes with ABS Pro and dynamic brake light, DTC and the new riding modes ‘Dynamic’, ‘Enduro’ and ‘Enduro Pro’ (the latter only with the F 850 GS) available as optional equipment ex works.
- ESA electronic suspension adjustment available as optional equipment.
- A self-amplifying, anti-hopping clutch for a discernible reduction in hand clutch operating force.
- Full LED headlight incl. LED daytime running light as optional equipment.
- Connectivity with multi-functional instrument cluster and 6.5 inch full-colour TFT display plus numerous features as optional equipment.
- Intelligent emergency call function now offered for the first time as optional equipment for the middle class.
- Optimised offroad and travel ability plus improved wind and weather protection.
- Sharper GS profile resulting from new design.
- New colour concepts and style variations Rallye and Exclusive.
- A range of optional equipment and accessories that is unique in the middle class, such as Keyless Ride, Gear shift assistant Pro, Dynamic ESA, eCall, Connectivity etc.
2018 BMW K 1600 Grand America
BMW Motorrad expands its range in the full dresser touring segment with the addition of a model designed specifically for comfortable travel. The BMW K 1600 Grand America sees its premiere at the world’s biggest motorcycle trade show, the EICMA in Milan (7 – 12 November 2017).
Derived from the BMW K 1600 B, the new model combines the supreme performance of its 6- cylinder engine with exclusive equipment features that make long-distance rides both comfortable and fascinating in American highway cruising style, whether solo or with a passenger.
The design of the BMW K 1600 Grand America embraces the passion for relaxed, luxurious travel on two wheels that is especially widespread in the USA. For this purpose, the styling developed for the bagger concept of the BMW K 1600 B has been modified and a number of distinctive features have been added. In addition to the dynamically elongated side line that slopes evenly down to the rear, another clearly recognisable feature is the drop- shaped silhouette created from the visual link between the high-rising windshield and the low positioned side cases.
Chrome-plated rear silencers arranged parallel to the road are harmoniously integrated in the elegant, flowing design. The authentic look of the BMW K 1600 Grand America is rounded off with a topcase complete with integrated passenger backrest. In addition to expanded transport capacity, the BMW Grand America offers significantly enhanced travel suitability due to the additional seating comfort for rider and passenger. The topcase is also an instantly recognisable indication of a vehicle concept developed specifically for extended touring.
American style includes an additional brake light integrated in the topcase. The design of the BMW K 1600 Grand America is inspired by US custom bikes, and this is also reflected in other details at the rear. An additional brake light integrated in the topcase gives the rear view a distinctive presence. It also visually harmonised with the lights integrated in the side cases, which act as brake lights and turn indicators. All lighting is produced by means of LED units.
As standard, the new BMW K 1600 Grand America is finished in the powerful, elegant colour Blackstorm metallic. In addition to the BMW logo, the vehicle trim also bears a model designation with reference to the engine type. In addition, a high-quality badge is positioned centrally on the fuel tank with the inscription “K 1600 Grand America”.
The Style Package specially created for the BMW Grand America ensures even further enhanced exclusivity. It consists of a two-colour paint finish combining Blackstorm metallic with the highly expressive Austin Yellow metallic, as well as chrome applications on the front wheel trim.
6-cylinder engine with distinctive performance characteristics. The latest version of the distinctive BMW Motorrad 6-cylinder engine delivers its performance effortlessly in every situation on the road. The most compact 6-cylinder engine of its kind has an output of 118kW/160hp at 7750rpm, generating a maximum torque of 175Nm at 5250rpm.
In the new BMW Grand America it offers not just the familiar, apparently inexhaustible power reserves but also distinctive performance characteristics. Based on the principle of “The American Way of Riding”, the top speed is limited to 162km/h or 101mph. This takes into account the fact that customisation with additional fittings in the rear section – as is popular in this vehicle segment – can impact significantly on wheel load distribution, so in terms of riding dynamics, stability and safety are guaranteed in all situations.
Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA and reverse assist as standard. In addition to the engine, the standard electronically controlled suspension Dynamic ESA also contributes to the supreme riding qualities of the new BMW Grand America characterised by dynamic performance, comfort and stability. In the standard setting “Road” it provides fully automated damper adaptation, ensuring the very highest level of comfort and excellent traction on virtually all surfaces. What is more, “Cruise” mode can be activated for a very soft damper set-up and pronounced comfort.
Reverse assist, also a standard feature, facilitates manoeuvring of the new BMW Grand America. It is activated by pressing a button on the left-hand handlebar panel. The rider then uses the start button to set the bike in motion.
The relaxed seating position available to rider and passenger is a feature that contributes to the incomparably comfortable ride feel offered by the BMW K 1600 Grand America – even over extremely long distances. The model is fitted as standard with footboards, allowing the rider to adopt a convenient “feet forward” posture. The passenger can also enjoy a comfortable seating position thanks to the low rear frame and a seat height that is reduced by 70 millimetres. Footboards are also available for the passenger as an optional extra.
The standard equipment of the new BMW Grand America also includes high- quality engine protection bars, heated grips, seat heating, cruise control and a model-specific windshield that is especially high. In conjunction with side trim that reaches a long way to the rear, it ensures perfect protection from wind and other adverse weather conditions. The integrated air ducting elements also supply the rider with fresh air as required. An audio system complete with navigation preparation is another feature on board the new BMW K 1600 Grand America as standard.
Meanwhile the selection of optional equipment items available ex works includes Shift Assistant Pro, the eCall system Intelligent Emergency Call available in European markets with ConnectedDrive capability, the Comfort Package, the Safety Package, various seat heights and forged handlebars. The program of Original BMW Motorrad Accessories enables further customisation.
Highlights of the 2018 BMW K 1600 Grand America
- Ultimate luxury touring motorcycle in American style.
- Authentic, harmonious design with dynamically elongated side line that slopes to the rear.
- Topcase with integrated passenger backrest and additional transport capacity for particularly long trips.
- Side cases and topcase with integrated lighting units.
- Optional Style Package with two-colour finish in Blackstorm metallic / Austin Yellow metallic.
- 6-cylinder in-line engine that meets EU4 requirements with an output of 118kW/160hp at 7750rpm and a maximum torque of 175Nm at 5250 rpm.
- Top speed limited to 162km/h or 101 mph.
- Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA with damping modes “Road” and “Cruise” as standard.
- Reverse assist for effortless manoeuvring as standard.
- Effective weather protection due to particularly high windshield.
- Low rear frame, passenger seat reduced by 70 millimetres and ergonomically adapted footrest position.
- Footboards for relaxed “feet forward” rider seating position as standard.
- Footboards available for passenger as Original BMW Motorrad Accessory.
- Shift Assistant Pro for shifting up and down without clutch activation as an ex works option.
- Intelligent Emergency Call as an ex works option for rapid assistance in an accident or emergency (only available in European markets with ConnectedDrive capability).
- Standard equipment also includes engine protection bars, ABS Pro, Dynamic Traction Control DTC, xenon headlight, heated grips, seat heating, Multi-Controller, three riding modes (Rain, Road,
- Dynamic), cruise control, audio system with navigation preparation.
- Diverse range of optional equipment items (adaptive turning light, daytime riding light, Keyless Ride, Hill Start Control, central locking etc.).
- Wide range of Original BMW Motorrad Accessories (forged wheels, chrome-plated mirror caps, navigation system etc.)
2018 BMW C 400 X
BMW Motorrad established its new product category in the area of urban mobility in 2011 with the debut of the BMW C 600 Sport and the BMW C 650 GT as premium vehicles for the maxi scooter segment. Now BMW Motorrad goes one step further and presents the new BMW C 400 X – a premium vehicle for the mid-size scooter segment.
In terms of drive technology, the BMW C 400 X provides a newly developed efficiency-optimised single-cylinder engine with an output of 34 hp (25 kW). Power transmission is via a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) gearbox and a torsionally stiff drivetrain swing arm with innovative swing arm bearing for minimum vibration and therefore maximum comfort. Automatic Stability Control ASC ensures increased safety during acceleration, especially on slippery surfaces.
In the chassis area, the new BMW C 400 X sports a rugged tubular frame made of steel. Suspension and damping are taken care of by a telescopic fork at the front and two spring struts at the rear. The set-up and spring travel have been selected so as to ensure that sporty, dynamic riding fun is combined with a very high level of comfort. Supreme brake performance and outstanding safety are provided by the twin disc brake at the front in conjunction with a single disc brake at the rear, along with ABS as standard.
In addition to standard lighting technology in highly luminous LED technology, the new BMW C 400 X also offers a range of highlights in the area of connectivity which is new to the segment. A multifunctional instrument cluster with 6.5‑inch full-colour TFT screen is available as an ex-works option, for example.
In conjunction with the further advanced BMW Motorrad Multi-Controller offering integrated operation, this means the rider can access vehicle and connectivity functions quickly and without being distracted from what is happening on the road. In addition to the convenience of being able to use the phone and listen to music during travel, there is also the benefit of effortless navigation by means of a practical system of arrows.
In terms of its styling, the new BMW C 400 X can be instantly identified as a member of the BMW Motorrad C family: its appearance is modern, future-oriented and functional. Viewed from the front, the dominant feature is its iconically styled LED headlight with distinctive daytime riding light design (optional) in the form of fibre optic elements.
With excellent wind and weather protection, a carefully conceived storage concept comprising two integrated compartments and the Flexcase under the comfortable, single-section seat, the new mid-size scooter offers everything that is needed to meet the demands of everyday practicality and touring suitability.
There is a choice of two paint finishes for the new BMW C 400 X. Zenith Blue metallic gives the new BMW C 400 X a pronounced modern appearance and underscores its athletic properties. In the paint finish Alpine White non-metallic, the distinctive styling of the new BMW C 400 X comes into its own, making it look more technical, compact and light.
The contrasting single seats in grey-black or red-black emphasise the BMW Motorrad mid-size scooter’s dynamic appearance, as well as underscoring its additional strengths of agility, easy accessibility and effortless handling.
Highlights of the 2018 BMW C 400 X
- Efficiency-optimised single-cylinder engine with a capacity of 350 cc, high torque and CVT gearbox.
- Highly compact design with wet sump lubrication.
- 25 kW (34 hp) at 7 500 rpm and 35 Nm at 6 000 rpm.
- Electronic fuel injection, digital engine control and ASC.
- Suspension with rugged tubular steel frame.
- Torsionally stiff drivetrain swing arm with innovative swing arm bearing for minimum vibration.
- Telescopic fork at front and two spring struts at rear with ample spring travel.
- Powerful braking system with ABS as standard.
- LED lighting technology as standard.
- Connectivity: Multifunctional instrument cluster with 6.5-inch full-colour TFT screen and numerous features as an ex-works option.
- Distinctive, dynamic design.
- Excellent wind and weather protection and sophisticated ergonomics.
- Generous storage space with two storage compartments and Flexcase.
- Attractive paint finishes with distinctive character qualities.