2017 KTM 1090 Adventure R
No matter the desert, Tierra del Fuego or Enduromania – those who love to leave paved roads far behind on occasion to escape the daily grind on gravel tracks, gain an especially exciting new KTM Travel Enduro option in model year 2017.
2017 KTM 1090 Adventure R
The new KTM 1090 Adventure R is made for purists who crave that elementary style of riding enjoyment delivered by a genuine, rugged adventure bike.
The latest getaway vehicle from Austria is easily distinguished from its sister model 1090 Adventure at the first glance by laced wheels in the enduro dimensions of 18 and 21 inches, knobbly tires, extra suspension travel and the powder coating of the trellis frame in the brand’s typical orange.
The orange matches the standard crash bar that protects components like the tank and radiators from the falls that are basically unavoidable in offroad use.
The extremely rugged wire spoke wheels are fitted with knobbly Continental TKC 80 Twinduro tires as OEM. In addition, tire sizes of 90/90-21 and 150/70-18 ensure owners can choose from a wide range of available specialized street and offroad treads, allowing them to perfectly match the bike to the intended field of use.
The fully adjustable WP suspension components with a full 220mm of travel front and rear will reliably out even even the roughest of bumps. In addition, stiffer springs equip the massive 48mm WP upside-down front forks with extra reserves.
Similar to KTM’s racing enduros, the progressively damped PDS shock absorber by WP Suspension. It also offers comprehensive adjustments for pre-load, compression and rebound, as do the forks.
The KTM 1090 Adventure R also relies on the new 1,050cc 75° V2 with a maximum output of 125hp/92kW for powerful propulsion, and perfectly controlled in any situation thanks to the sophisticated ride by wire system.
At the same time, buyers of the “R” receive the same cutting edge technology like the slipper clutch, multi-mode ABS and traction control with KTM ride mode technology.
The powerful braking system with dual 320 mm Brembo front discs, radial 4-cylinder calipers and a radial master cylinder remains unchanged for very good reasons.
The Bosch 9M+ two channel antilock braking system stands for extremely short braking distances and optimum vehicle control. With its intelligent braking pressure modulation, it prevents the wheels from locking up while minimizing the endo tendency in emergency braking on grippy and changing surfaces.
In addition to the option of fully disengaging the ABS, the “R” has a standard offroad mode allowing the rider to lock up the rear wheel as desired – an important prerequisite for committed offroad riding and well-directed drifting.
On the front wheel, the ABS remains active in offroad mode. When accelerating, the rider of the 1090 Adventure R benefits from the Traction Control (TC) with KTM ride mode technology.
An important part of the safety equipment package, it utilizes the quick reaction times of the ride by wire system to reduce power to safe levels, ensuring sporty but fully controlled propulsion on any surface. Depending on the selected mode, the traction control allows different amounts of slippage on the rear wheel.
A highly intuitive operation and setup of these systems is ensured by the clear VDO dashboard with dual LCD displays in combination with the handy menu switch on the handlebar. But despite all the fascinating high-tech solutions, you keep coming back to the well thought out details that turn a good motorcycle into a fantastic KTM adventure bike.
Details like the comprehensive adjustments for the ergonomics, allowing to easily configure the bike to fit riders with different preferences and physiques.
For example, the windshield is adjustable, as are the handlebar, footpegs and hand levers. Subtly integrated into the rear, mountings for the practical KTM luggage system allow fitting the “R” with highly functional side cases and a top case in a jiffy.
And the one-piece seat, specially shaped to provide the rider with extra mobility in offroad duty, also shines with superior long distance comfort and transparent feedback, thanks to a cutting edge 3D foam cushion.
2017 KTM Adventure 1090 R Features:
- Highly developed LC8 V-Twin with dual-plug ignition, innovative Keihin engine management, electronic fuel injection and slipper clutch
- output: 92 kW/125 hp, max. torque: 109 Nm, emissions: Euro 4
- Strong trellis frame made from highly resilient chrome-molybdenum steel
- Fully adjustable 48 mm upside-down front forks by WP Suspension with 220 mm of travel
- Fully adjustable PDS shock absorber by WP Suspension with 220 mm of travel
- Brembo braking system with radial 4-cylinder calipers on two 320 mm brake discs front, radial master cylinder, 267 mm rear disc brake
- Aluminum handlebars, tapered and ball-burnished
- Multi-functional dashboard with two LCD displays, analog-style tachometer with adjustable shift light
- Integrated baggage carrier and case carrier for KTM luggage system
- Disengageable ABS with offroad mode
- Traction Control (TC) with ride mode technology and 4 modes: Sport, Street, Rain and Offroad
- High strength wire laced wheels in 21’’ front and 18’’ rear, Continental TKC 80 Twinduro enduro tires
- Adjustable footpegs, handlebar and windshield
- Standard orange crash bars and matching orange coated frame