Friday of the 2017 International Island Classic proved a great starting point as the weather cleared and blue skys and sunshine heralded in a day of great qualifying and racing, with the morning dominated by qualifying sessions and the second half of the day seeing the majority of classes facing their first races for the event.
Now in its 13th year, the International Challenge (for bikes manufactured between 1973 and 1984) was dominated by Australia from the outset before the United Kingdom not only made up large chunks of ground but finally overshadowed its antipodean rival by taking out the last two events – its lead rider Jeremy McWilliams the mainstay.
Jeremy McWilliams continued this form in 2017, finishing the final qualifying session in the lead for the UK, on the 1984 Yamaha Harris F1 1297 setting a scorching time of 1:37.580, while Australian’s Alex Phillis, Beau Beaton and Shawn Giles took out two, three and four, aboard the 1982 Suzuki Xr69, 1978 Irving Vincent 1300, and 1982 Suzuki Katana 1294 respectively.
Stay tuned for full results!
Fastest/Final International Challenge Qualifying session (Q17)
- Jeremy McWILLIAMS (UK) / Team Winfield UK 1984 Yamaha Harris F1 1297 1:37.580
- Alex PHILLIS (AUS) / Arnolds Fruit Market / RS Taichi AUS 1982 Suzuki XR69 1177 1:38.407
- Beau BEATON (NSW) / Austart Air Starters / K.H. Equipment Pty Ltd AUS 1978 Irving Vincent B’L 1300 1:38.447
- Shawn GILES (NSW) / TBR / D&D / Pablos M-cycle Tyres AUS 1982 Suzuki Katana 1294 1:38.614
- Peter HICKMAN (UK) / Team Winfield UK 1984 Yamaha Harris F1 1250 1:38.869
- Glen RICHARDS (UK) / Team Winfield UK 1982 Suzuki Harris F1 1277 1:38.939
- Chas HERN (VIC) / T-Rex Racing AUS 1982 Honda Harris F1 1100 1:39.107
- Jed METCHER (VIC) / T-Rex Racing / Race Center / ACID Australia AUS 1982 Honda Harris F1 1100 1:39.220
- John McGUINNESS (UK) / Team Winfield UK 1982 Honda Harris F1 1150 1:39.372
- Derek SHEILS () / Tom Dermody / DMR M-sport IRE 1982 Suzuki XR69 1260 1:39.736
- Paul BYRNE (IRE) / DMR Motorsport / Purgetec Pty Ltd IRE 1981 McInt. Suzuki 1260 1:39.752
- Conor CUMMINS (UK) / Team Winfield UK 1984 Yamaha Harris F1 1250 1:39.795
- Steve MARTIN (VIC) / TBR / D&D / QBE AUS 1982 Suzuki Katana 1294 1:40.637
- James HILLIER (UK) / Team Winfield UK 1984 Yam. Harris F1 1250 1:40.948
- John ALLEN (QLD) / C&M M-cycle Repairs – PC’s AUS 1978 Yamaha TZ 750 1:41.662
For full results of the Friday Qualifying and Racing see computime.com.au
You can check out all the action in our gallery below:
2017 International Island Classic Friday Gallery