The new BMW F 900 R and F 900 XR models were released at EICMA 2019. Here's some information from the BMW Motorrad press release. Pricing and availability TBC...
The all-new F 900 R and F 900 XR that have just been revealed to the World at the International Motorcycle Show in Milan will be introduced to the Australian market in the first half of 2020. The new models from BMW Motorrad combine sports-style, aggressive design and inspiring performance via enhanced engine output according to BMW.
Having established this family with the BMW S 1000 XR, BMW Motorrad is now expanding it with the addition of a mid-range model.
The new F 900 XR benefits from the technology transfer from the upper class: Adaptive Cornering Lights, Keyless Ride or Intelligent Emergency Call are all unique features in the mid-range segment.
As well as providing an option for sports riders, the XR is also aimed at newcomers and motorcycle returnees due to its easy accessibility, low minimum seat height and attractive entry price.
BMW claim the F 900 R and F 900 XR set the technological benchmark in the mid-range segment with their level of standard equipment, including Connectivity and LED all round as standard and their wide range of optional extras. These extras in some cases are unique in this class and include Dynamic ESA, Riding Modes Pro, Shift Assistant Pro, Intelligent Emergency Call, ABS Pro, MSR, DTC, DBC and RDC.
The engine, which was first introduced in 2018 on the F 850 GS, now produces 77kW and an even fuller torque curve thanks to an increase in capacity from 853cc to 895cc. It complements this with an evocative sound, which is the result of an ignition distance of 270/450 degrees and a new underfloor silencer system.
In addition to the standard slipper clutch, the new F 900 R and F 900 XR can be fitted with engine drag torque control (MSR) for the first time. This prevents the rear wheel from slipping as a result of abrupt throttling or downshifting and thereby ensures even greater levels of safety.
The new F 900 R and F 900 XR offer the Rain and Road riding modes as standard, while ABS and ASC Automatic Stability Control are also offered at the base specification level. Ex works option Riding Modes Pro allows the sporty characteristics of the new F 900 R and F 900 XR to be fully realised. The additional riding modes Dynamic and Dynamic Pro, Dynamic Traction Control DTC and banking capable ABS Pro are available, along with Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) and the new engine drag torque control (MSR).
The new F 900 R and F 900 XR make use of a steel bridge frame that integrates the engine as a load-bearing element and a fuel tank that is now back in its classic position in front of the rider. Front wheel control is handled by inverted forks, while the rear wheel is guided by a double-sided swingarm with central suspension strut. The lightweight plastic-welded fuel tanks with a capacity of 15.5L (F 900 XR) and 13 litres (F 900 R) are a world first in motorcycle construction.
Colour 6.5-inch TFT screen with BMW Motorrad Connectivity offered as standard. BMW Motorrad developers attached great importance to optimum readability for the instrument cluster, even in difficult lighting conditions.
In addition, information diversity, display quality and user-friendliness were developed to maximise the experience for all riders. Graphics on the screen are visually adapted to sporty on-road riding, while additional core screens are available in conjunction with the optional Pro riding modes.
The standard BMW Motorrad Connectivity is a unique feature in the mid-range segment, offering the ability to conveniently talk on the phone, listen to music or navigate while riding.
BMW say the F 900 R offers a particularly sporty, active seating position while the F 900 XR delivers an impressively active yet relaxed riding position for touring and travelling.
The front fairing, which includes an adjustable windshield, combines a sporty look with sound rider protection. Various low and high seats along with the optional lowering feature also allow individual adjustment to various body heights.
The new F 900 R is available in Blackstorm metallic, San Marino Blue metallic and Style Sport in Hockenheim Silver metallic/Racing Red.
In addition to Light White, the new F 900 XR offers two Style variants: Style Exclusive in Galvanic Gold metallic and Sport in Racing Red.
Highlights of the new BMW F 900 R and F 900 XR:
- Further enhanced output and torque: 77 kW at 8, 750 rpm and 92Nm at 6,500rpm
- More than 87Nm torque in the relevant lower speed range from 4,500 to 8,500rpm
- 35kW version available for LAMS
- High level of running smoothness due to two opposed counterbalance shafts
- Two riding modes Rain and Road as well as ABS and ASC as standard
- Riding Modes Pro with two further riding modes as well as Dynamic Traction Control (DTC), ABS Pro, Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) and engine drag torque control (MSR) as ex works options
- Steel bridge frame for optimum rigidity, robustness and riding precision
- Newly developed slim steel sub-frame
- World first in motorcycle construction: light, plastic-welded fuel tanks with a capacity of 13L (F 900 R) and 15.5L (F 900 XR)
- Spring travel: 135mm (F 900 R) and 170 mm (F 900 XR) at front, 142mm (F 900 R) and 172mm (F 900 XR) at rear
- Electronic suspension adjustment Dynamic ESA at rear as an ex works option
- ABS Pro for even greater safety when braking at an angle as an ex works option
- Numerous seat alternatives
- Adjustable windshield (F 900 XR)
- Adaptive Cornering Light unique in the mid-range as part of the ex works option Headlight Pro
- 6.5-inch TFT screen with BMW motorcycle connectivity as standard
- LED lighting units all round as standard
- Intelligent Emergency Call as an ex works option
- Keyless Ride
- Three colour and style variants each for unmistakable roadster and adventure sport characters
- Extensive range of optional extras
Price and availability TBA. Visit the BMW Motorrad Australia website for more info.